Thursday, August 5, 2010

Never saw this coming, but it feels alright.

So the other day I got a phone call from my brother's friend's dad who owns the bookstore downtown. He had a job opportunity for me, and naturally, I was ready to jump on it. I told myself I would take it "no matter what the job was". I didn't actually expect that promise to myself to be tested. Turns out, the camera girl for his TV show was gone to Haiti to shoot a documentary, and his Graphics guy was leaving for college soon, so he needed to bring in someone who had both creative vision and creative training. So my "no matter what" promise turned out to literally be a "no matter what" situation. I was brought in, taught how to operate studio cameras, lights and sound, and create and run graphics at the same time. In 3 hours. David's approach to seeing if someone is really up for the job is, funny enough, also my method of teaching people how to do things. Basically, "the most effective way to teach someone to swim is to throw them in the river and tell them not to drown." I'm usually on the teaching end of that, but to be honest it was fun being on the learning end as well. I had 3 hours to learn how to do all of what I needed before my production skills were on LIVE TELEVISION. I don't think I need to expand upon the heart palpitations I was having.

Anyway, so two weeks later, and I'm still alive and kicking. The graphics guy has three days left, and I'm going to inherit all the stuff he's been doing for the last three months, and start stylizing the show myself. I'm terrified, because by next week I'll be running two computers AND camera and sound all by myself, where for the last two weeks he and I have both been splitting the work. I know I'll be fine, and if I'm not I know I can get some backup, but it's still a wonderfully thrilling idea.

So if that weren't enough for me to do, I was just offered another Production job from the same guy for a different kind of thing. I'm not sure how much I can talk about it, so I'll play it safe, but this position is a huge opportunity for me. Being a Production Manager for two live television shows is something that will definitely open up a ton of doors, and give me all kinds of new experiences that I'll definitely need to get to where I want to be. I'm looking at a very busy fall season, and hoping that this will help slingshot me straight into Atlanta, which is my definite short-term goal.

All that to say- with my Illustration degree from SCAD, I never ever thought I would be in a film/radio/tv job (which, funny enough, was my dad's undergrad degree from UGA) but despite never having thought it, I'm finding myself enjoying the challenges, the learning experiences, the new-found space to stretch my wings, and the proximity to a fabulous gelato store. I'm really looking forward to where this job can take me, and I'm thanking God every day for providing, like He promised.

1 comment: